Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What Do You Crave More?

Hey guys, we were originally going to take turns reviewing each chapter of Made to Crave, but Celeste has a lot of stuff going on right now.  Like a pipe bursting and flooding her kitchen and bathroom.  Add to that 5 boys and there's a good reason for me to go ahead and write this one in her stead.

Chapter 2 of Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst is titled Replacing My Cravings. It made me laugh and kinda hurt my feelings all at the same time.  I like that.  There are a few things I want to touch on that impacted me.

She said something that I have probably said to myself 200 times.  For real.  "Tomorrow will be a much better day to keep my promises to eat healthier.  And since this is my last day to eat what I want, I better live it up."  I cannot tell you how many days have been my "last day to eat bad."  They never really are.

Lysa tells about her realization that things had to change in her life.  Not just because she was overweight (she wasn't huge by any means, just not healthy) but it was more about her heart.  It was all about surrendering to what God wanted for her.  It was more for her spiritual health than her physical health.  She asked herself a real tough question.  Then she asked me, her reader, the same question.  I did not enjoy my answer.

So here's the question:

"Is it possible we love and rely on food more than we love and rely on God?"

Aww man.

When I first read that, I got real honest and had to answer, yes.  Today, my answer is different because God has done a work in my heart.  I have repented and accepted his forgiveness and allowed his grace to change me.  I must ask if your answer is no, could you replace the word food with something else?  Money, facebook, your spouse, beauty, security, tv, iPhone?  The list could go on.  What is the thing you go to for comfort, reward, or joy?  How about when you're stressed or sad?  Allow God to search your heart and illuminate anything you might rely on and love more than him.  I know it's hard.  It's even harder to blog about it.

God gave Lysa a very valuable key to unlocking the door to freedom.  She said, "Each time I craved something I knew wasn't part of my plan, I used that craving as a prompt to pray.  I craved a lot.  So, I found myself praying a lot."  That was such a revelation for me!  That is the difference in doing this thing my way and allowing God to draw me closer to him through my struggle.  Do you get how huge that is?

If you haven't gotten this book yet, you should!  I just realized it kinda sounds like I'm getting paid to plug the book but I'm not.  It's just so good.

If you're feeling brave, go ahead and leave your answer to the question in the comment section.

Monica

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I've heard so much about the book, TODAY. I know I had heard about it before today, but I truly feel God was speaking to me today. I heard it on KLRC, saw your blog, and another friend was talking about it. I guess it's time I break down and get this book! :)

    ReplyDelete