Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Who Do You Think You Are?

This past Saturday afternoon, I was in a foul mood.  I had tried on all my clothes and couldn't find anything that fit to wear to church that night.  That's how it usually starts for me.  I realize that my clothes don't fit and then I just go ahead and throw one.  I reminded myself what a failure I have been and how I can never get my crap together.  My husband, Ray, was being so nice and trying to encourage me to which I responded with an eye roll.  I always know how dumb I'm acting but that doesn't always make me act grown.  Anyway, I calmed down and prayed for a minute and found something stretchy to wear.

Church that night was really great and I got to lead the last song during worship.  It was cool but not anything crazy awesome.  So I was a little surprised when our pastor, Stan, came over to me after church and said I had done a great job leading.  I thanked him and he turned to go.  Then he stopped and came back.  (You always know it's about to get real when they come back.)  He said, "I didn't mean thank you for singing well, I meant thank you for bring the presence."  He paused and looked me right in the eyes and said, "You're not who you think you are, you're who God says you are."  I could barely see through the tears welling up in my eyes.  Unless God told him, he didn't know the things I had been thinking about myself only hours before.  Stan then said, "You're a giant-killer.  You are like David.  God is bringing you into a season where you worship when no one is watching so that when you lead, you kill giants."  I couldn't think to say anything but "Ok" and "Thank you."  You have no idea how my heart needed to hear those words.

So today, I want to know who does God say that I am?

- He says that I am a new person in him:

"Therefore, if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old has passed away.  Behold, the fresh and new has come!"  2 Corinthians 5:17 amplified version

- He says that I am set free:

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Him the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death."  Romans 8:1-2

- He says that I am confident:

"When we trust in him, we're free to say whatever needs to be said, bold to go wherever we need to go." Ephesians 3:12

- He says that I am loved and whole:

"Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love."  Ephesians 1:4

- He says that I am forgiven:

"God did it for us.  Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself.  A pure gift.  He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be.  And he did it by means of Jesus Christ."  Romans 3:24


Isn't that amazing?  I think so 'cause by myself, I am not any of those things.  It's in Christ that I find my identity and it's an incredible one.

Monica

3 comments:

  1. I like everything you wrote in this post, Monica. You bless and minister to me ery time, yes I said ery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed to hear that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my smile got bigger and bigger as i read. love this story!

    ReplyDelete